We might earn earnings from hyperlinks on this put up. Please learn this Disclosure for particulars.
This wholesome chipotle rooster burrito bowl is meal-prep simplicity at its greatest.
Not solely is it full of entire meals goodness but it surely travels extremely properly, making it the proper moveable meal for a day of summer season boating, a back-to-school lunch or a transportable meal for an extended day of travelling.
It’s additionally bought tons of crowd-pleasing flavour because of the selfmade seasoning of Tex-Mex type spices.
Why We Love This Rooster Burrito Bowl
In summer season we do a whole lot of pontoon boating and I’m at all times searching for no-mess, wholesome meals concepts to take pleasure in on a ship.This rooster burrito bowl ticks all of the packing containers by way of portability, flavour, dietary goodness and tidiness.
There are many different causes to adore it too:
- It’s low in saturated fats and is heart-healthy, excessive protein and all-natural with no MSG, preservatives or different synthetic components.
- Should you’re searching for a rooster bowl recipe that’s versatile, that is it. Customise it together with your alternative of toppings.
- Simply double, triple or quadruple it for back-to-school and workplace lunch meal prep.
- It’s bought all of the flavour of a burrito or wrap however skips the additional energy (and carbs) you get in a tortilla wrap.
- It travels exceptionally properly. I’ve even made burrito bowls as moveable lunches to eat on a street journey, an airplane or on the airport on an extended journey day. Simply pack parts in particular person thermos bowls.
- The daring Tex-Mex flavours of this wholesome Mexican rooster bowl is well-liked with all ages. It’s bought a great deal of flavour however isn’t so spicy that little youngsters or heat-adverse eaters received’t take pleasure in it.
- It’s a good way to make use of up a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes and leftover corn on the cob.
Components and Substitutions
Please scroll all the way down to the recipe card for the complete components and technique.
Rooster: Rooster breast is decrease in fats than thighs so it’s our first alternative when making a wholesome recipe. However you may simply swap in rooster thighs for those who choose. Simply trim off any additional fats.
White Rice: Carbohydrates assist present vitality to gas your organs and central nervous system. You should utilize brown or wild rice for additional fiber, nutritional vitamins and minerals — simply issue within the longer cooking instances.
For a fast meal prep possibility, make additional rice (comparable to our recipe for Mexican Arroz Verde inexperienced rice) for dinner the day earlier than and use the leftovers on this burrito bowl. It’s much like the Cilantro Lime Rice on the menu at Chipotle Mexican Grill.
Beans: Cooked beans present protein in addition to nutritional vitamins and minerals. You should utilize white, black, pinto or your alternative of bean on this recipe. For the very best texture and flavour, prepare dinner the beans from scratch relatively than use canned.
Lettuce: Lettuce serves as a cradle to carry the components collectively within the serving dish. Iceberg or any type of leaf lettuce will work. Solely use butter lettuce for those who’ll be serving the burrito bowl instantly because it bruises simply.
Corn Kernels: Cooked corn on the cob has the very best flavour however you should utilize niblets cooked from frozen. Canned corn is already cooked so you should utilize it straight from the can. Drain it first and rinse it with contemporary water.
Cherry Tomatoes: These bite-sized tomatoes are candy and juicy with skinny skins. They’re the very best tomato for a burrito bowl as they don’t make the opposite components soggy.
Should you’re transporting your burrito bowl, go for grape tomatoes that are smaller and oblong-shaped. They’ve much less juice and a barely thicker pores and skin which makes them extra sturdy and higher for travelling.
Crimson Onion: The deep purple color of purple onion provides visible curiosity to any dish and who doesn’t need a fairly rice bowl? Crimson onion is milder than yellow. But when it’s pungent, soak it in ice water for quarter-hour after chopping. That may assist mellow out the flavour.
Jalapeño Pepper: Pickled jalapeño peppers add a little bit of kick to a burrito bowl and complement the Tex-Mex flavours of the spice combine and different components.
Avocado: A halved avocado (ideally Hass) serves because the holder for the Greek yogurt. It additionally provides a wealthy, creamy texture together with useful monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) which aid you really feel fuller after a meal.
Greek Yogurt: Excessive in protein, Greek yogurt makes a wholesome substitute for bitter cream because it doesn’t include thickeners.
Contemporary Herbs: Chopped cilantro provides aroma, depth of flavour and freshness. Should you’re a part of the inhabitants whose genetics make cilantro tastes like cleaning soap, substitute contemporary parsley or mint.
Spice Marinade: Verify the recipe card for particulars on making the spice combine to season the rooster earlier than grilling it. Making ready your personal spice seasoning combine is extra economical than utilizing store-bought.
You’ll get all of the daring flavour and warmth with out the sugar, preservatives and components comparable to MSG usually present in business manufacturers.
Additional Virgin Olive Oil: Spanish olive oil is usually fruitier and extra sturdy than Italian olive oil so holds up particularly properly to the spice combination however any good high quality olive oil will do.
Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Paprika: Garlic and onion are cornerstone flavours in seasoning whereas paprika provides color and a little bit of spicy warmth. Use smoked paprika if in case you have it readily available.
Chipotle Chile Powder – Created from dried, smoked jalapeños that are crushed after they’re dried and smoked. Provides a pleasant smoky warmth and depth of flavour. You’ll be able to substitute one chopped, entire chipotle pepper discovered canned in adobo sauce.
Cumin – A extremely popular spice from the parsley household, it’s made out of the bottom seeds of the plant. It’s a signature spice in taco seasoning.
Oregano – I choose Mexican oregano as a result of is extra citrusy than Greek or Mediterranean oregano. It’s truly a totally totally different species!
Lime juice: Freshly-squeezed lime juice is essential to a vibrant, contemporary marinade. It’s additionally blended with the rice to make a cilantro lime rice. Serve a wedge of lime on the facet for additional zip.
The best way to Make a Grilled Rooster Burrito Bowl
1. To make the marinade, measure the spices right into a small bowl and stir. Add the olive oil, lime juice and blend till clean.
2. Trim off any extra fats from the rooster breast. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel.
3. If the rooster breast is particularly thick, hammer it with a mallet to flatten barely. Then, place the rooster fillet and the marinade in a freezer bag and permit it to marinate for half-hour.
4. Whereas the rooster is marinating, steam the rice in response to bundle directions. Should you’re utilizing white rice, it will take round quarter-hour.
5. Preheat a BBQ grill or a grill pan to 400 F. Add the rooster and grill about 7 minutes. Flip over and grill the opposite facet for one more 7 minutes, or till inside temperature is 165 levels.
6. Take away from the grill and let stand 5 minutes earlier than slicing.
7. Combine the steamed cooked rice, lime juice, chopped herbs, sea salt and freshly floor black pepper in a mixing bowl. Toss gently.
8. As soon as the rooster is grilled, the remainder of the steps contain meeting the components on your burrito bowl. First, place a lettuce leaf within the backside of the serving bowl so it’s formed like a cup.
9. Then, prepare the nice and cozy rice, cooked corn, cooked beans, chopped tomatoes (or depart entire if small) and chopped onions in groupings throughout the lettuce leaf.
10. Prepare the sliced rooster overtop.
11. Add half a peeled avocado and chopped jalapeño peppers. Earlier than serving, add a spoonful of Greek yogurt.
Serve heat with a sprinkle of additional cilantro (or contemporary herb of alternative) and a wedge of lime.
Ideas and Serving Ideas
- Craving a burrito bowl from Chipotle Mexican Grill? To make a Copycat Chipotle Rooster Burrito Bowl load your serving dish with guacamole, grated cheese, queso blanco and salsa fresca (pico de gallo). Then, drizzle creamy avocado lime dressing over high.
- I prefer to ramp up the warmth issue by including one in every of my favorite selfmade salsas comparable to Guatemalan Chirmol or Salsa Verde (Inexperienced Tomatillo Salsa) or Straightforward Jalapeño Peach Salsa.
- Or, serve with a bottled medium-hot sauce comparable to Marie Sharp’s Unique (Belize), Salsa Huichol (Nayarit, Mexico) or Llewellyn’s Sizzling Pepper Sauce (Nevis).
- Prepare dinner as soon as and luxuriate in it twice by grilling additional rooster after which use it in a spicy rooster wrap.
Wholesome Chipotle Rooster Burrito Bowl
This nutritious chipotle rooster burrito bowl is meal-prep simplicity at its greatest. It is excellent for back-to-school, busy week nights, street journeys, boating and any meal on the go.
Grill Grill pan or BBQ
- 1 boneless and skinless rooster breast
- .5 cup white rice raw
- 0.5 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- .5 entire avocado Hass
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- ½ cup cooked white beans or black turtle beans
- ½ cup cooked corn niblets canned, frozen or off-the-cob
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup purple onion sliced or chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapeño peppers contemporary or canned
- 1 leaf lettuce
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper freshly floor
- 1 tbsp olive oil additional virgin
- 1 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon paprika smoked or candy
- ½ tsp floor cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder ideally chipotle or chile cobanero
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano Mexican
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
Stop your display from going darkish
To make the marinade, measure the spices right into a small bowl and stir. Add the olive oil, lime juice and blend till clean.
Trim off any extra fats from the rooster breast. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel.
If the rooster breast is particularly thick, hammer it with a mallet to flatten barely. Then, place the rooster fillet and the marinade in a bowl or freezer bag and permit it to marinate for half-hour.
Whereas the rooster is marinating, put together the rice in response to bundle instructions. It is usually a ratio of 1 half rice to 2 elements water, steamed for quarter-hour.
Preheat a BBQ grill or a grill pan to 400 F. Add the rooster and grill about 7 minutes. Flip over and grill the opposite facet for one more 7 minutes, or till inside temperature is 165 levels.
Take away from the grill and let stand a couple of minutes earlier than slicing.
Combine the steamed cooked rice, lime juice, chopped cilantro, sea salt and freshly floor black pepper in a mixing bowl. Toss gently.
Lay a lettuce leaf within the backside of the serving bowl. Prepare the steamed rice, corn, beans, chopped tomatoes and onions in teams throughout the lettuce leaf.Should you’re utilizing canned corn, it is already been cooked so simply drain it and rinse with contemporary water.
Prepare the thinly sliced rooster within the bowl.
Add half a peeled avocado and chopped jalapeño. Earlier than serving, add a spoonful of Greek yogurt.
Garnish with contemporary chopped herbs and a wedge of lime. Serve with scorching sauce or salsa on the facet.
Energy: 778kcal | Carbohydrates: 111g | Protein: 41g | Fats: 20g | Saturated Fats: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated Fats: 12g | Trans Fats: 0.01g | Ldl cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 993mg | Potassium: 1210mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1248IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 4mg
Save to Pinterest!
Dividing her time between Canada, Guatemala and Mexico (or the closest tropical seashore), Michele Peterson is the founding father of A Style for Journey. Her award-winning journey and meals writing has appeared in Lonely Planet’s cookbook Mexico: From the Supply, Nationwide Geographic Traveler, Fodor’s and 100+ different publications.
View extra posts by Michele Peterson Learn extra