We’ve got a visitor submit from Swati Priyam. Swati is a product administration veteran with deep technical experience. She’s held roles at a number of the greatest manufacturers together with Expedia, Navis, and EMC. Swati holds a Grasp of Software program Engineering from Carnegie Mellon.
In case you’ve labored with Lewis, participated in his workshops, or learn his books, you recognize that he’s all about frameworks.
Frameworks assist immensely, each on the job and on the interview. Frameworks get you higher outcomes and be sure that your considering and communication is thorough. Frameworks would possibly impress your viewers too.
Under, I’ve described his favourite frameworks together with when and the way it’s best to use them.
In accordance with Lewis Lin, if you end up requested a behavioral query, as an alternative of giving a boring mechanical reply utilizing the STAR (State of affairs, Activity, Motion, Consequence) methodology, it’s essential to discover a technique to painting your experiences as fascinating, partaking tales that hiring managers can simply perceive and luxuriate in. For that goal, he developed the DIGS framework as proven beneath:
- D ramatize the scenario
- I ndicate the options
- G o by way of what you probably did
- S ummarize your affect
Utilizing the DIGS framework not solely permits your interviewer to grasp the significance of the story you’re speaking about but in addition what you probably did with all potential options in thoughts. Lewis Lin recommends utilizing The Rule of Three framework whereas doing that. An inventory of three issues inherently appears extra full than an inventory of two issues. Alternatively, an inventory of 4 or 5 issues is simply too many and would possibly get overwhelming to the interviewer.
Whereas explaining the options, it is extremely useful to do a professionals and cons checklist which helps the interviewer perceive the thought technique of the choice the storyteller made to resolve the issue.
If you undergo particulars of what you probably did, you may leverage the 5W and H framework to persuade the interviewer that you simply have been on the driving force’s seat in your story and never simply somebody sitting subsequent to the driving force. Listed beneath is the breakdown of this framework together with some examples of use them to offer clear particulars in an fascinating manner.
- What did you do?
- Who did you name?
- When did you determine to launch?
- The place was the product launched first?
- Why did you launch it there?
- How did you prioritize?
When requested a product design query, Lewis recommends adopting his CIRCLES Methodology as proven beneath to prepare your ideas and supply a whole response with out forgetting any step in an interview setting.
- C omprehend the scenario
- I dentify the shopper
- R eport the shopper’s wants
- C ut by way of prioritization
- L ist Options
- E valuate trade-offs
- S ummarize your suggestions
As you Comprehend the scenario, it’s normally follow to make use of the 5W and the H query checklist.
Nonetheless, within the curiosity of time, Lewis recommends shortening to simply the 3Ws and H as an alternative:
- What’s it?
- Who’s it for?
- Why do they want it?
- And the way does it work?
To Establish and Report your buyer wants and to sketch the actions of the shopper, draw a buyer journey map. It helps you uncover product enchancment areas simply. Whereas drawing the shopper journey map, take into consideration the 5Es guidelines to assist brainstorm totally different levels of the shopper expertise. Listed below are the 5Es:
- E ntice: What occasion triggers a person to enter into the UX funnel?
- E nter: What are the primary few steps within the UX funnel?
- E ngage: What activity(s) is the person making an attempt to perform?
- E xit: How does the person full the duty?
- E xtend: What comply with up actions happen after the person completes the duty?
After you may have recognized the shopper and their wants and are onto the step of Itemizing the options, it’s essential to keep in mind the Rule of three. Brainstorming on at the very least 3 or extra options will show you how to innovate iteratively and can put you in a cushty scenario because the interviewer critiques your options.
Underneath the product execution query kind, you could be requested to outline metrics for a product as you put together to launch a brand new function to the market. AARM metrics is a superb analytical framework which provides step-by-step steering to measure your success. Listed beneath are some pattern inquiries to ask your self as you take care of a metrics query.
- A cquisition – How are you going to observe buyer sign-ups to your service?
- A ctivation – What number of customers are absolutely registering to your service?
- R etention – What number of customers are returning to make use of the service usually and in flip, serving to the enterprise?
- M onetization – How a lot income can you accumulate from the customers?
The McKinsey SCR framework allows you to craft a succinct enterprise story. Right here is how it’s best to use it:
- S ituation – Clarify the context and information to familiarize the viewers
- C omplication – What was the issue?
- R esolution – How did you go about fixing the issue?
The ESTEEM Methodology is a step-by-step information for what it’s best to do to climb the PM ladder after you may have landed an incredible PM job. The elements are as listed:
- E xecution – Legendary PMs ship 5-10x of what common PMs ship
- S uperior communication abilities – Legendary PMs are sturdy communicators
- T actical consciousness – Legendary PMs work smarter, not tougher
- E xtraordinary psychological toughness – Legendary PMs don’t stop simply
- E xceptional crew builder – Legendary PMs have an incredible community of proficient folks
- M oonshot imaginative and prescient – Legendary PMs differentiate themselves with a moonshot imaginative and prescient
Whereas these frameworks, strategies, and acronyms are very helpful in organizing one’s ideas, one should keep in mind why they’re there and use them. They’re meant to make your life simple.
Do not forget that these frameworks are simply pointers or checklists, however not full recipes.
For extra particulars, discuss with Lewis’ books:
In case you preferred this text, tell us by clicking Like.